Saturday, March 27, 2010

Inspirations: Vintage Books no.6

After dinner last night I went to the used book store that's down the street and found two great books to add to my collection.

The first book I found was The House That Jack Built, published in 1911 by the Henry Altemus Company. It has black and white illustrations with the occasional color page. The binding is a little worn, a few pages have some small age stains, and the first page is loose, but other than that it's in pretty good condition.






The second book I picked out was a copy of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tanglewood Tales, published by McLoughlin Brothers. I'm not sure of the publication date as it's not listed anywhere in the book, but judging from the look and condition I would guess somewhere between 1910 and 1920. The illustrations are signed as being by F. Bassett Comstock.






These both have great interior black and white illustrations, but what really caught my eye were the cover designs. All in all, I'm happy to add these to my book collection.

No comments: