Monday, March 15, 2010

1971 - a work in progress

I thought it was time to re-visit a piece that I had started a while ago but had to put on hold while I finished grad school. This is an illustration based on a photo of my uncle Jonathan with one of his motorcycles back in 1971. Below you can see the brown colored pencil and ink wash drawing that I started with, scanned in from a 24" x 18" piece of watercolor paper.



The next thing I always do with a piece to prep it for digital painting is to start blocking in my color scheme.



The image below shows the current stage of the painting. Colors, shading, and highlights are starting to become more detailed. The background is roughed in, along with parts of the motorcycle. Details are starting to be painted in on the motorcycle, such as on the headlamp.



More updates on this digital painting will be posted as the week goes by! I want to get this finished in time for my uncle's birthday next month.

No comments: