Sunday, August 3, 2008

Saltwater Ponds


All of the watercolor paintings tagged martha's vineyard that I've been posting this summer are from my travel watercolor sketchbook that measures approximately 4 1/2" by 6". My goal this summer has been to practice more with watercolors since they're a weak point of mine. I find my small travel sketchbook that I picked up in London far less intimidating than a larger size of paper. I don't feel as bad about messing up a smaller picture as opposed to a larger one. I've been trying to make myself paint with more saturated colors, as I find that too often with watercolors my pictures are too washed out, with things being too much of the same value. So like I said, this summer I've been aiming for more painting, with brighter colors and higher levels of contrast. I don't know how successful I've been, but I do know that it definitely feels good to just sit down and paint.

No comments: